Saturday, July 21, 2007

I'm Back

I was surprised to see so much of activity on Sivaji and could not resist adding one more to the pile.Let me tell you my Sivji experience.

In the run up to the release there was an unprecedented publicity glitz and Sivaji was on everyone's lips so much that a friend of mine, whose visa got rejected saw a silver lining in the fact that he could watch thaialvar in action on day 1.
I thought all this hype and hoopla was crazy and did not want to get carried away and hence got to see the movie only last week. I can hear santhosh saying "Shame on you!!!".

I must say I enjoyed the movie , but was this their best effort?. As I walked out of the theater,I asked a friend , who is a die hard RK fan, Whether this was his best movie? Understanding the implied meaning, he said" You go and watch a spidey/superman to see someone play larger than life and enjoy. Thalaivar films are of that genre.". This is an oft repeated explanation and an acceptable one.Opinion on whether the movie was worth the hype and the budget is divided. But no one can
deny the fact that it did entertain every section of the audience.

Now, there were quite a few logical gaps in the movie, but the ones listed in the previous posts were a little unreasonable I thought.

The CPR scene- RK I thought only worked in America and I am not sure whether the film mentions about his graduation.And the CPR scene should be seen in the context of a later scene in which the same procedure is used to breathe life into RK. The first scene was to let the audience know that something called CPR exists. And , I must add that I did not know what CPR was.

And the second issue was with hiring the lawyers to execute his plans. What difference would it have made? The system would still have posed problems(there is a scene in which various officials ask for various forms) and without cutting corners
nothing would have moved. And the villan would have ensured that hurdles are created at every step. I dont think lawyers would have made any difference.

And the line.. rich get richer is again not a sweeping statement to pander to the masses. It should be seen in the light of the previous statement in which RK talks about tax evasion and the consequent loss to the government and the resulting
inflation that makes the poor poorer.

And most importantly, where in the film is the tit shot???? :)-I felt shreya was too groovy and way too young for RK.The villan did a fantanstic job and Vivek need not have been thrust into every frame of the movie.

All said and done, I felt the movie was as good(or as bad?) as any other RK film and asssuming that the producers have done their math right,must be a profitable one for AVM.

1 comment:

Mambalam Mani said...

Shame on you
:D
Whither gone you? Long time no see